The Ring is back on Saturday 3 July 2021
We are planning for the return of the Ring on Saturday 3 July, hope to see you there. We are hoping that we should be able to run the event pretty much as normal, but will have various contingency plans (including switching to September in the unlikely event of a Summer lockdown). The important thing is that we get to do it we are looking forward to doing things again.
The Tim Jones Challenge (the Worcester Ring) is our 20 mile circular event through the beautiful Worcestershire countryside. It is open to canoes, kayaks, SUPs and anything else you may care to paddle (although we think K4s are too long to get round the corners…). It’s a varied, interesting circular course on mostly canals with some river. It’s fully marshalled with food and water stops, hot food and showers at the end (covid permitting…) And a challenge, definitely a challenge.
As you can see, the Worcester Ring has been renamed in honour of Tim Jones, our friend and moving force behind the Worcester Ring, who sadly died last year doing the DW,
Sign up to our mailing list and we’ll keep you informed (Occasionally. You can unsubscribe at any time).
- Tim’s article on Outdoors Radar.com
- Video of the Route (YouTube, with thanks to “DISPLACEMENT ACTIVITY”)
- Ben’s GoPro video – around the Ring in 2 minutes for a taster.
- The plan is for full on Covid precautions, including outdoor check in, catering etc. It is only really around the club that is a significant issue, the actual circuit is very safe. Depending on the situation in July we may be able to relax some of these precautions (if lawful, safe and with permission of the Canal and River Trust). One change is that we are not able to run the 15 mile Offerton Cruise this year, as it requires us to shuttle people to the start
- We have done the risk assessment – any concerns or questions please ask.
- We are planning for the return of the Ring on Saturday 3 July, hope to see you there. We are hoping that we should be able to run the event pretty much as normal, but will have various contingency plans. The important thing is that we get to do it we are looking forward to doing things again.
- If you enjoy this sort of thing, the Doggy Paddle is on 18 July this year. It’s a scenic and pleasant 18 miles or so cruise from Leamington to Stratford-on-Avon. Less portages than us, and no tunnels, but they do have a nice castle…
Julian, Russ, Colin, David, Ben
Worcester Canoe Club
Some of the organizers after the 2018 Ring: David, Tim, Julian and Colin.